What do I need if I'm putting in a pool or hot tub?

A building permit is required prior to construction of all above ground and in-ground swimming pools, hot tubs, and similar structures. Portable spas that simply plug in may not require a permit. All in-ground pools must have a 4 foot high fence with a locking gate.

All above-ground pools which are two to four feet in depth need to have a fence with a locking gate. Above ground pools over four feet do not need a fence, however they must have a removable ladder. For more information regarding the fees or permit applications, please contact the Permitting Office, located at 3101 McCully Road, Allison Park, PA from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, or call the department at 412-486-0400 Extension 1304.

Show All Answers

1. What is the process for obtaining a building permit?
2. What types of structures require a permit?
3. How long will it take to get an answer on my permit application?
4. Will I need engineered plans?
5. Can I use a hard top / retractable / auto cover instead of a fence for my in-ground pool?
6. Do I need a permit to install or improve a driveway or patio?
7. Can I get a verbal answer on my plans?
8. What do I need if I'm putting a fence on my property?
9. How do I schedule a building inspection?
10. Can I have chickens on my property?
11. What do I need if I'm putting in a pool or hot tub?
12. What do I need if I have to do excavation on my property?
13. How do I get a demolition permit?
14. How do I go about getting a conditional use permit?