What do I need if I have to do excavation on my property?
Before excavating on your property where utilities such as electric, water, telephone and gas lines are buried, state law requires that you notify the affected utilities at least 10 days prior to digging. The utilities then have 3 days to locate their utilities for you. This service is better known as PA One Call. This law is designed to protect you from serious injury and the liability that digging could cause.

Depending on the scope of work, grading and filling projects on both residential and non-residential properties require an Earth Disturbance Permit. You are required to apply for an Earth Disturbance Permit before excavation can begin. The cost of such permits vary dependent on the nature of the work. If you would like more permit information, visit the Permit Department at 3101 McCully Road, between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, or call them at 412-486-0400.

Show All Answers

1. What is the process for obtaining a building permit?
2. What types of structures require a permit?
3. How long will it take to get an answer on my permit application?
4. Will I need engineered plans?
5. Can I use a hard top / retractable / auto cover instead of a fence for my in-ground pool?
6. Do I need a permit to install or improve a driveway or patio?
7. Can I get a verbal answer on my plans?
8. What do I need if I'm putting a fence on my property?
9. How do I schedule a building inspection?
10. Can I have chickens on my property?
11. What do I need if I'm putting in a pool or hot tub?
12. What do I need if I have to do excavation on my property?
13. How do I get a demolition permit?
14. How do I go about getting a conditional use permit?