Can I have chickens on my property?

The keeping of chickens on residential properties is permitted only in the RA, RB, CA, and CB zoning districts, subject to the following regulations:

  • A permit is required (fee: $50.00). Please see the "Permits" page to download the application or stop by the Permitting Office to pick up a copy. 
  • The property must be at least 20,000 square feet in size (about 1/4 acre)
  • The property must be used for a single-family dwelling (not permitted on townhouse, duplex, or condominium lots).
  • Residents who a part of a homeowners' association must obtain approval from their HOA.
  • The keeping of chickens can only be be for personal use. The selling of chickens, eggs, manure, roosters, or anything else related to this use is prohibited. The butchering of chickens on-site is also prohibited.
  • For properties up to 1 acre, a maximum of 5 chickens are permitted. For properties over 1 acre, a maximum of 10 chickens are permitted. 
  • Male chickens over the age of 6 months (i.e. roosters) are not permitted.
  • Renters must supply written permission from the property owner or landlord when applying for a chicken permit.
  • Chickens must be kept within an enclosed structure (i.e. coop), which must be fenced-in.
    • The coop must be set back at least 40' from all property lines and must be in the rear yard (for corner lots only, the coop may be in the side yard).
    • The coop must be surrounded by a fence, which must be set back at least 25' from all property lines and must restrict the chickens' grazing area to the side yard (for corner lots only, the fence may be enclose the side yard). 
    • A combined fence/coop structure may be used, and must be set back at least 40' from all property lines and must be in the rear yard (for corner lots only, the structure may be in the side yard). 
    • All coops must be at least 6 square feet in size, with an additional 2 square feet for each chicken over 5 in number.
    • Coops must be covered, predator-proof, thoroughly ventilated and of sufficient size for the chickens to be able to move around freely. Coops must be enclosed on all sides and have doors and openings covered in material to prevent vermin and predators from entering.
    • No scrap or mismatched material may be used in the construction of the coop. The coop must be pained or stained a color that is "in harmony" with the surrounding area.
    • Coops must be maintained and sanitized regularly to prevent vermin and obnoxious odors.
    • Feed and droppings must be stored in secured, rodent-proof containers or within an enclosed structure. If stored outside, all feed/waste containers must be set back at least 40' from all property lines.
    • Any vacant coops must be removed within one (1) year.
  • Residents are responsible for preventing excessive noise, offensive odors, or unsanitary conditions that disturb neighbors or threaten the public health. The keeping of chickens and storage of any associated waste or feed may not create conditions harmful to the public health or which create safety hazards, odors, unsightliness, or public nuisances.

Show All Answers

1. What is the process for obtaining a building permit?
2. What types of structures require a permit?
3. How long will it take to get an answer on my permit application?
4. Will I need engineered plans?
5. Can I use a hard top / retractable / auto cover instead of a fence for my in-ground pool?
6. Do I need a permit to install or improve a driveway or patio?
7. Can I get a verbal answer on my plans?
8. What do I need if I'm putting a fence on my property?
9. How do I schedule a building inspection?
10. Can I have chickens on my property?
11. What do I need if I'm putting in a pool or hot tub?
12. What do I need if I have to do excavation on my property?
13. How do I get a demolition permit?
14. How do I go about getting a conditional use permit?