Depreciation Lands Museum
Historic Hampton Township
Books now available!
A limited supply of the sold-out hardback edition of Historic Hampton
Township, by Lib Hunter and Debbi Rassau, is now available. The
first printing of this interesting and informative book was sold
out in just a few weeks.
The cost for this deluxe hardback edition is $35.00 (format: 11-1/2"
X 8-1/2", 328 pages ). Checks should be made payable to: Depreciation Lands Museum.
The north central area of Allegheny County presently known as Hampton
Township was first settled in the late 18th century (1754-1763).
Western Pennsylvania was the first frontier of the United States
to be settled after the Revolutionary War and movement of people
to areas north of the Allegheny, Monongahela and Ohio Rivers occurred
as hunters and trappers moved into the game rich lands seeking fur
for trade and sale.
John McCaslin secured title to a large tract of land in 1794, at
the junction of Mt. Royal Boulevard and Route 8, now known as Oak
Hill Farms. Alex McDonald, Frank Black and other early settlers,
were joined later by Robert and James Sample, Robert Horde, William
and Henry McCully and John McNeal. Certain segments of the Township
roadway network and recognizable geographic landmarks bear these
early pioneers' names and some present day residents of the Township
can trace their roots back to that period of settlement.
The Honorable Moses Hampton, LLD, a well respected judge and member
of Congress, signed incorporation documents in 1861 and Hampton
Township became a municipal entity encompassing parts of Indiana,
McCandless and West Deer Townships. Land area totaled approximately
ten thousand three hundred and twenty three (10,323) acres or 16.33
square miles. Hampton Township saw steady immigration through the
19th century from the Pittsburgh settlement area at the confluence
of the Allegheny and Monongahela Rivers.