History of the Depreciation Lands
The Depreciation Lands Museum and Park was created by Hampton Township in 1973 and seeks to preserve and interpret the early years of European settlement in the Depreciation Lands, land set aside in Western Pennsylvania by the Pennsylvania legislature in 1783 to compensate its soldiers for service in the Revolutionary War.
Walk Into an Earlier Time
The museum's peaceful wooded grounds transport the visitor into an earlier time, with costumed demonstrators every Sunday afternoon during the season, April through November. The site includes the Pine Creek Covenanter Church, built in 1837, and the associated cemetery; the Armstrong log house and herb garden, built in 1803; a replica school, circa 1885; working blacksmith shop; wagon house, which houses a Conestoga wagon and displays; and a meeting building.
Family Oriented Activities
Dedicated volunteers and staff offer a variety of family oriented activities through out the year. Be sure to check their website for weekly hours and the calendar of special events. Special group activities can be planned for school, scout, and adult groups.
Historic Hampton Township Books now available!
A limited supply of the sold-out hardback edition of Historic Hampton Township, by Lib Hunter and Debbi Rassau, is now available. The 1st printing of this interesting and informative book was sold out in just a few weeks.
The cost for this deluxe hardback edition is $35 (format: 11-1/2-by-8-1/2", 328 pages). Checks should be made payable to Depreciation Lands Museum and can be purchased at the Museum Gift Shop on South Pioneer Road.